Tuesday, December 16, 2014

One Step Too Far by Tina Seskis



One Step Too Far was a book that had me literally in tears at the end.  The tagline of this book is “No one has ever guessed Emily’s secret.  Will you?”  I did not, even with my best attempts.  One Step Too Far is a suspense novel that tells the story of Emily.  She decides one day to leave her husband and son and start a new life in London.  The novel skips back and forth between her growing up as the “good” twin with a tattered family life and meeting her husband Ben, to her new life in London.  In her new life, Emily now goes by her given maiden name, Catherine Brown, and starts down a risky path that is far from the normal life she left behind.  The question always lingers, why would Emily abandon her family?  What was the one step too far?  I don’t want to say too much more and ruin the story.  As a mother, I was very, very intrigued as I couldn’t imagine what would cause a mother to take this step.

The story started out a bit slow for me, which probably has more to do with my very busy work schedule than anything else.  Then the story soon gripped me and wouldn’t let me go.  I couldn’t stop reading it until I got to the end and was crying at night.  It was very good, with a great ending.  The tying up of all of the loose ends was a bit rushed, but overall, I can’t stop thinking about this book.  I definitely need to read more from this author.  My book club loved Gone Girl and Before I Go to Sleep, One Step Too Far is in the same league.

Book Source:  Review Copy from William Morrow – Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. You've got me intrigued. This is going on my TBR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I am also intrigued. I wonder what Emily's secret is? I'm glad you found this book so absorbing, especially during the busy holiday season, when you don't want to waste your time. Very nice review!

    ReplyDelete