Monday, May 19, 2014

How to Be the Parent You Always Wanted to Be by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish

Title: How to Be the Parent You Always Wanted to Be
Author: Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
Read by:  Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Audio
Length: 1 hour, 8 minutes
Source:  MP4 Audio from Simon & Schuster Audio – Thanks!

I previously have listened to the audiobook How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish and picked up some good tips.  How to Be the Parent You Always Wanted to Be is more of a review of that book with great examples on how to work through common problems.  Topics include dealing with strong emotions, setting firm limits, resolving family conflicts peacefully, engaging your children’s cooperation, and expressing your angry feelings without being hurtful.

I liked that it was an hour long and something I could listen to on my phone while doing chores.  It was a good refresher and I will be listening to it again.  I would recommend this to those that have listened to or read How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk for a review and for those who have not listened to it or read it for a quick snippet on what you could expect to find in the longer book.

The narrators are the authors and are interesting and engaging.  They put such feeling into acting out the scenes and children’s voices. I could relate to many of the examples, but I really liked the ending where they point out that all parents are not perfect and will not remember all of the tips.  That made me feel better!

No comments:

Post a Comment