Friday, October 9, 2009

Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne

My husband, son, and I have been working on reading Winnie-the-Pooh for a few months. Kile is only three, but seemed ready to take the next step into chapter books. Winnie-the-Pooh seemed like a well loved book to start with. I had never read the original classic myself, so it was fun for all of us to read it together.

Winnie-the-Pooh consists of ten chapters or stories of Edward the Bear, better known as Winnie-the-Pooh. Winnie-the-Pooh lives in the hundred acre wood and has several friends such as Owl, Rabbit, Piglet, Eeyore, Kanga, and Roo. Pooh runs into several dilemmas, but is always happy to use his “little brain” to solve the problems together with his friends. The drawings by Ernest H. Shepard are very good.

Overall I thought the stories were cute with some witty humor. I especially loved Pooh’s spelling troubles. Kile liked the stories a lot, but tended to sometimes lose interest if there weren’t enough pictures or they were too wordy. He is excited that we finished the book and is ready to pick up the other volume of Pooh stories at the library tomorrow. He did miss Tigger in this collection of stories, but is excited he is in the next novel.

I’m including this in my Classics Challenge count as it is a classic I had never read before and enjoyed.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this as a kid and have read it to my kids many times. My husband has an orginial Pooh Bear from the early 70's I think. He looks nothing like he does now. He looks simplier, nothing too fancy. What was once golden is now a rusty brown. Alot like my skin..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Winnie the Pooh. My daughter never really cared for him, though. And I definitely agree that it is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading the new sequel called Return to the Hundred Acre Wood. Wonder if it will live up to the originals?

    ReplyDelete